The Church of St. Barbara in Kolanowice was built in the second half of the 17th century in Opole at the Franciscan monastery, on the site of an old medieval temple with a wooden tower and three altars of St. Barbara, St. Lawrence, and the Mother of God. In 1810, as a result of secularization, the Franciscan monastery was liquidated, and the small church was put up for sale and ended up in Kolanowice.
The church was built in a log structure with an octagonal turret and arcades. The bell tower dates from the second half of the 20th century.
The interior furnishings have Baroque features. In the main altar, one can see a painting of St. Barbara and two pairs of columns with sculptures of St. Francis and St. Anthony from the turn of the 17th and 18th centuries.
The temple is also decorated with polychrome probably dating from the beginning of the 20th century. Folk-Baroque paintings with scenes from the legend of St. Barbara deserve special attention.
Practical information:
Possibility to visit half an hour before and half an hour after the service and by arrangement with the parish priest (tel. +48 77 421 24 84) or the sexton (tel. +48 77 421 20 07).
Sightseeing time: up to 1 hour.
Free admission.
Parking spaces on Szkolna Street.
Polski
Cesky