The complex of buildings at 2 Jana III Sobieskiego Street in Nysa, which currently houses a general high school, is the former seat of the monastic school of Saint Anne, also called Carolinum.
Its opening in the first half of the 17th century was initiated by the Bishop of Wrocław, Archduke Charles of Habsburg, adapting townhouses acquired by him and the monastery of the Order of the Holy Sepulchre at the Solny Market to the needs of the Jesuit college. The school's move to the new edifice took place during the tenure of the position of Bishop of Wrocław by Charles Ferdinand, son of Sigismund III Vasa. In the second half of the 18th century, the school buildings were taken over by the army for a warehouse and hospital, and in 1810 they became state property.
Among others, Michał Korybut Wiśniowiecki - later King of Poland, Max Herrmann-Neisse – poet and prose writer, or Konrad Bloch – biochemist, Nobel Prize winner born in Nysa, studied at the Nysa Carolinum.
The Baroque body of the college building is shaped like the letter "E" and was created with inspiration from the seat of the Klementinum college in Prague. Two rooms with original rich decorations have been preserved inside the edifice – the auditorium and the library. In the pharmacy and hall, one can see historical frescoes with philosophical, religious, and astrological themes.
Practical information:
Admission from dawn to dusk. Sightseeing time: 1 - 1.5 hours.
Free admission.
Paid parking in the Solaris Center, at Kopernika Square.
Polski
Cesky